• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: PTO Band Adjustment (PTO Slipping)  (Read 440 times)

BinVa

• View Profile
Re: PTO Band Adjustment (PTO Slipping)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 06:04:06 PM »
Definitely clean the top of the rear housing before removing the cover. Working around that rod is the biggest problem the rest of the bolts can be removed with a universal socket and extension out the rear. Small hands help but still neeed to be a contortionist! It gets easier the more you work back there. I forget the bolt size but I did grind about half the socket off to give the universal more free play. Not too bad the 2nd time around!! B
  • 8345 w/2846QT bushhog loader
Belarus 8345 and Several Green Tractors

Prince of Bales

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 09:55:23 PM »
Thank you for your response and advice.  I may check the adjustment of the spring first, as you suggest.  It would be great if that is all that it needs.  If I need to remove the cover adjust the bands though, I will try with disconnecting and blocking up the lift cylinder, but there is a rod running from side to side that seems like it would be right in the way (maybe there is enough clearance to get the cover off with it there, if I can get the rear bolt out).  There is a lot of dirt and debris around that cover though, so I need to do some cleaning before I remove the cover. 
I will post an update when I get around to doing the adjustment.  I haven't needed to run anything with the PTO lately so it hasn't been a priority.  Of course, I want to get it done before I do need it again.
Thanks again for the information.
  • Belarus 562

BinVa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 11:34:17 AM »
PoB,
The procedure you note is correct. The 3pt does not need to be removed, but if the lift cylinder is unpinned and blocked up..it allows more room to remove the cover plate and access the adjusters. I have modified some wrenches to ease removal of the cover plate. Iíve found finger tight on the adjusterís works for that part, then back out. I recently removed/rebuilt the PTO brake/clutch pack on my 8345. I if I remember correctly.. it took 2or 3 adjustments during the 1st use, after changing the bands to get the engagement right, but the procedure is the same. If it feels like your PTO is engaging at the proper point..you may only need to add more spring pressure at the external linkage. Hope this helps. B.
  • 8345 w/2846QT bushhog loader
Belarus 8345 and Several Green Tractors

Prince of Bales

• View Profile
PTO Band Adjustment (PTO Slipping)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 11:03:20 PM »
I have noticed the PTO on my 562 slip when heavily loaded and I want to adjust it.  There is a good thread on this from several years ago (PTO slipping, replacing pto band?), but since it is several years old, I decided to just start this new one (right, wrong?). 
That older thread has some good information about how to access the adjusting screws, so I think I know how to go about that part of it (seems like removing the 3-point hitch is necessary).  The question I have is about the adjustment itself.  The manual says to pin the actuating lever in neutral and tighten the adjusting screws and then loosen each one by two to two and a half turns.  Is the procedure the same for new bands (if you have just replaced them) and for adjusting existing bands due to slippage?
If the procedure is the same for both situations, I have an additional question about the initial tightening of the adjusting screws: it says to tighten them to a torque of 6 to 7 ft-lbs.  I don't think I have a torque wrench capable of measuring such a low torque, so is tightening them finger-tight good enough?
I have attached the page from my manual, covering the PTO adjustment, for reference as to what I am discussing above.
  • Belarus 562